Tuesday, October 20, 2009

An Afternoon With An Angel

Hello my friends, oh I do hope you had a wonderful day....mine was surreal and lovingly so.

The day started with heavy fog, it wasn't warm but not really cold either. I readied myself for my day after spending time on my computer. As I was finishing my morning coffee and newspaper a dear friend called and asked me to take an elderly man for groceries. This is something she does on a regular basis but was feeling really bad with a cold today. I said yes as I wanted to help her feel better and not worry about the gentleman from her church.

I picked him at his home around 1 o'clock. He had a kind of scooter that collapsed so I could put it in my trunk. It also had a little basket for carrying things at the front. Oh I so wish you all could of met him, he was so kind and appreciative. His home was immaculate and he was ready with his jacket on when I arrived, his shopping list in hand. We immediately hit it off. He was so easy to please and care for. We managed to find everything on his list and when I took him home and carried his groceries in he asked if I would like a cup of tea.....now I hadn't planned on staying but I felt he wanted some company so as the kettle boiled I put his groceries away and we chatted as if we had been friends for many years. He showed me pictures of his late wife and spoke of her lovingly. His 5 children no longer live in our area so he finds himself alone most of the time. He doesn't live in an old age home but an independent duplex which is part of the home. This allows him to grow his flowers and enjoy some independence. They bring him a hot meal every day and he makes his own breakfast and supper. They also provide a health care worker who checks on him daily and a house keeper who cleans an hour a day and does his laundry. He is quite pleased with his living arrangements and his neighbors are an elderly couple who he is very good friends with. They share many things and enjoy playing cards and watching hockey on TV. I fell in love Mr. M. His outlook on life, his experiences and his love of family would make the coldest of hearts melt. As I hugged him good bye he said you are a lovely, lovely lady and my heart melted again. He offered to pay me, I absolutely refused, as it was my pleasure to spend over two hours with a man who had lived so many years, lived through historical moments, was blessed with knowing great love and great sadness. I felt I was blessed to meet such a man who never once complained about anything, only spoke of love and life with much respect for both.....We need more people like Mr. M. in this world and I definitely need more time either with him or more people like him. Driving home I thanked God for allowing me to meet such a wonderful person and I immediately called my friend to tell her how everything had worked out, I also told her to call me anytime she needed help as I know she does help the elderly as part of her church group.

I then went for a walk, after the fog had lifted it was sunny and a perfect afternoon to be outside. The sun was warm on my face as I watched the kids coming home from school so excited with their colored papers in their hands.

My curtains are going to be installed on Nov. 3rd, and I am looking forward to that. This gives me time to clean my windows inside and outside as well as wash my blinds.

Well my friends today was as close to a perfect day as I can imagine. I encourage all of you too spend some time with a shut in or an elderly person, if only like me, for an afternoon. It will fill your heart with joy and appreciation for the generation before us. It made me very happy.

Tonight I watched my Yankees win their game, they are now up 3 -1 in the series. Go Yankees!

Good Night my friends and God Bless.....and as always, many, many hugs.....:-)

44 comments:

Keshi said...

How nice. Thats the kind of day u really need to blog about and Im glad u did so :)

May u hv many more days like that!

X
Keshi.

Bernie said...

Keshi, thank you for visiting. I always blog about my day. Some days are much better than others and today was special, but honestly Keshi I love every day and being able to share them with my friends is a wonderful blessing.
Have a wonderful day.....:-) Hugs

Jackie said...

"An Afternoon With An Angel is the perfect title...and the angel is you.

You inspire me with your love, and I know that your love is God-inspired.

Much love to you, Bernie.
Jackie

Bernie said...

Oh Jackie, he was so precious (92) and I loved my time with him.
God puts such beautiful, wonderful people in my life and I am so thankful for this.
Your words are so kind my friend, thank you. Luv ya.....:- Hugs

catsmum said...

perhaps when your friend is feeling better you could go with her to take Mr M on another of his shopping trips ... he sounds like a delightful man and a real blessing

Bernie said...

Susan you would of loved him, any little thing I did, like finding a steak sauce he enjoyed, he appreciated.....I think your idea is a good one and I will ask to go along with her sometime.
My hospice work begins again next week which I really enjoy as well.
Take care my friend.....:-) Hugs

Marian Dean said...

I have a special feel for elderly people. I used to have a retirement home for 36 residents, I loved the time they were in my care. My first husband took ill and I put the home on the market. Just as it was sold, he died. I wouldn't have liked to carry it on though without him.
I am sure your gentleman feels just as blessed to have met you, as you do him.
Love Granny

Cindy said...

Bernie, it sounds like a fabulous day, amd Mr M sounds like a wonderful man. I hope you get to see him again as it sounds like you both enjoyed it. Take care.

A Bit of the Blarney said...

You did indeed have a most wonderful day!!! Smiling still at the wonder of your adventure!!! So generous of you to give the time. But it seems you were well rewarded! How grand!! Cathy

Blessings each day said...

Thoroughly enjoyed reading about your day (as always) and the sweet encounter you had. Perhaps you should have written an afternoon with two angels, both you and him!

When Mario and I used to bring Holy Communion to the nursing homes years ago, I always said we were easily blessed as much as the residents were.

You will be getting your curtains while I am on vacation in AZ but I hope to sneak on their computer to drop in when time permits.

blessings and hugs,

marcy

Anvilcloud said...

What a well-written post! I enjoyed meeting Mr M.

Wanda..... said...

Good morning Bernie, I'm sure Mr.M. with his similar outlook thought you were an angel.

I miss visiting with an elderly woman(Malinda) who was my mother's best friend...they both passed a few months apart, as did their husbands, she was childless and came here for holiday dinners.

You did have a joyful day Bernie, influenced by both the elderly and the young coming home from school. We all could benefit from having their wisdom and innocense in our lives!

Luv and Smiles,
Wanda

Anonymous said...

Yes Bernie you are the angel. There is nothing worse than having family away from home. He is so blessed to have you and your friend for a friend. You are right nothing gives more grace than helping another. He must be quite a blessed man at 92 to be able to live in assisted living.
They are a gift in themselves. I was so happy when that element was added to most senior living homes. It is expensive from what I understand. Blessings to you.
QMM

Barb said...

Still traveling but visited you this AM & thought your post & sentiments so heartfelt & kind. It seems that 2 kindred spirits connected to the benefit of both. A very positve encounter for each of you. I think good feelings from experiences like this are very healing. Wishing you many more wonderful days, Bernie!

Rebecca said...

I'm jealous of your experience with the angel. (And I'm sure he thought YOU were an angel too.)

The Yankees have been amazing. Oops! Here's Donna coming for coffee. I gotta go.

Bernie said...

Oh Granny, you are a special angel taking care of 36 elderly, how blessed were they?
I enjoyed this gentleman very much, he really touched my heart Granny......:-) Hugs

Bernie said...

Hi cinner, Mr. M. was wonderful, I so enjoy people who share wonderful stories of their life, who are older and disabled yet still see the beauty and love life...it was a wonderful experience.........:-) Hugs

Bernie said...

Cathy, I was the one blessed yesterday for sure....he was one of the kindest people I have met and it was a pleasure to be able to help him......:-) Hugs

Bernie said...

Hi Marcy, he was an angel for sure. When are you leaving on vacation? I so miss Eileen and hoping she will be home soon, I do hope she is having tons of fun though.....:-) Hugs

Bernie said...

A/C you really would of loved him. He was wonderful and so full of life and I learned that life can be wonderful through any circumstance or any age. Have a great day my friend......:-) Hugs

Bernie said...

Good Morning Wanda, oh he was a wonderful man and it was a wonderful way to spend the afternoon. I do hope I get to spend more time with him as he truly lifted me up and I so loved see those kids running home excited to see their mom's. A great day my friend......:-) Hugs

Bernie said...

Hi Peggy, he was 92 and he face was as smooth as a baby's bottom, hardly a wrinkle and although he did have arthritis he was quite able to do many things.
Yes I have been told these living arrangements are expensive but with no family around he probably had little choice but to move there. I really enjoyed my time with this elderly man and can only pray I will be blessed to be able to help him again.....have a great day.........:-) Hugs

Bernie said...

Oh Barb, Mr. M. filled my heart and lifted my spirits greatly. He was full of arthritis but other than that seemed quite well and managed very well. I learned how life can be just as good at 92 as 62 and I like that lesson....Enjoy your vacation.....:-) Hugs

Bernie said...

Rebecca, say hello to Donna from me. Oh yes my friend Mr. M. was an angel and I was blessed to spend the afternoon with him....:-) hugs

Mitzi said...

I just love reading about your day to day life. I wish you were my neighbor. Thanks for being you.

Sniffles and Smiles said...

Hello, my dear friend, I've come by for my midweek visit...brought my cup of tea...and settled in for a wonderful chat...And here I find a new friend!!! Mr. M!!! What a delight!! You have described him so beautifully that you have brought tears to my eyes...And I'd say, that I have had tea today with TWO angels!!!!! You, and Mr. M!!! It's simple, really...God provides the day, and you colored it with beauty!!! Love to you, my dear friend~Janine XO

Valerie said...

I loved the 'Angel' title, Bernie, it was so appropriate. And Mr M sounds delightful.

Gail said...

HI BERNIE-

Oh my this is so wonderful - and yes, it was a perfect day. I love how you look at opportunity - always a gift of some sort, you are truly a blessing. And so it seems that your new friend is now amongst your new blessings as well. I am thrilled and heightened with joy to share in this experience with you. Thank you Bernie for sharing your life with me.

Love Gail
peace......

Bernie said...

Hi Mitzi, you are welcome for a cup of tea or coffee anytime my friend.....:-) Hugs

Bernie said...

Hi Janine, I did have a wonderful day....God works miracles with me my friend as he will for you..Love you my friend, enjoy your tea and visit often......:-) Hugs

Bernie said...

Hi Val, Mr. M. was delightful and it was my pleasure to help him .......:-) Hugs

Bernie said...

Hi Gail, I was so blessed to spend time with Mr. M. he was like an angel to me Gail, his eyes were so bright and he was just an amazing person, loved him.....:-) Hugs

Margie said...

Glad you had such a wonderful day!
Those are the days that we never forget and bring so much joy!

A hug to you!

Margie:)

The Retired One said...

I think if you talked to this gentlemen, he would say YOU were the angel today, Bernie.
What a generous and loving heart you have. You are always helping others with such enthusiasm and love.
I used to be the Administrator at an Assisted Living facility..and every one of the residents there could use more company and help. You are correct that in helping them, one gets their own life enriched tenfold.
Thank you for doing this for him and for being the wonderful person you are.

Joannah said...

Bernie, thank you for visiting my blog and being a source of encouragement. I look forward to getting to know you through your blog.

:-)

Bernie said...

Hi Margie, how is your knee? Thought of you off and on all day today.....hope you are well...Hugs

Bernie said...

Joan, I only wish I had the health to do more things like this as I enjoy it so very much.....Hugs

Bernie said...

Joannah, you are welcome, please visit often.....:-) Hugs

quieten said...

Thank you for sharing that wonderful day. Just reading it made me smile with joy for you and Mr.M. I hope you get to spend time with him again - he sounds delightful.
Huggz,
Quieten

PS -Thanks for your words of comfort earlier today. You made my soul rest easier.

Bernie said...

Quieten, you are a wonderful strong woman dealing with so much but doing it so beautifully. Stay well my friend and as always you are in my heart and prayers...Hugs

Diana said...

Hi Bernie,
Sorry that it took me so long to comment but yesterday was unbelievable! I will either blog about it or email you if I don't.
I love taking care of seniors. I did this for awhile but I gave it up for a better paying job. But they are a delight. It was a nice pick me up for you both!
Love Di

Jerelene said...

Hi Bernie!
It sounds like you had a really nice day with a really nice gentleman. It is such a blessing to meet kind and sweet people like that...I'm sure that he was very blessed by being able to spend time with an angel like YOU!!
Hope you are feeling well and know that you are in my thoughts and prayers...
Love to you.....Jerelene

Bernie said...

Hi Di, I was just over to your blog and thought OMG what else can go wrong.....you are one strong lady, hang in there, luv ya...Hugs

Bernie said...

Hi Jerelene, I had a wonderful day with my new friend, I want to do things like this more often, it helps me more than I ever could help them. Thank you Jerelene, I am feeling so much better...Hugs